Frugal beauty tips: Spend less on looking your best
When times are tight, your beauty regime doesn't need to suffer. Here are some ways to stretch
your beauty budget.
Frugal Beauty Tips - General
- Drink water or tea instead of sodas and canned
drinks. Water hydrates your skin from within and cleanses your body to
help your skin look it's best. Tea has antioxidants that are good for
your body and health. Soda and heavily sweetened drinks do nothing
positive for your health and have a lot of empty calories.
- Eat a balanced diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables. When your body is healthy,
it shows in your skin.
- Exercise. When you exercise, your blood flows throughout your body bringing oxygen and
nutrients to every organ, including your skin. If you exercise regularly, it will show up in
healthy-looking skin and hair.
- Give yourself a
pedicure at home.
Doing your own pedicure will save you anywhere from $20 to $40 and a trip to the salon.
- Refresh your skin, hair and/or nails with these
beauty spa treatments.
All of them use simple, readily available items that you most likely have at home already!
- Instead of using expensive products, try making some of your own
homemade beauty products
. You will be surprised at the common household products that can be used to pamper your skin and hair!
Frugal Beauty Tips - Make Up
- Don't buy the most expensive facial cleanser. Facial cleansers spend very little
time on your skin and are
designed to clean only. Those extra ingredients that boost the cost not only go right down the drain, they
may irritate your skin.
- No need to splurge on moisturizer/day cream, either. Dermatologists agree that the
most important ingredient in a day cream is sunscreen. There are many inexpensive day creams that hydrate
the skin and protect it from sun damage. There is no need to spend a lot on day cream unless you need
special products for acne or anti-aging.
- Use foundation sparingly. Wearing less gives you a more natural look and makes a
bottle last much longer. Apply the minimum amount of foundation needed to
even your skin tone and blend well into your skin.
- Choose an inexpensive lip liner – The more expensive lip liners and eye liners
tend to be softer and easier to use.
This can be important in the delicate eye area, but not so much on lips. I use a $2. Rimmel lip liner
and am completely happy with it.
- Use a lip brush to apply your lipstick. When you use a lip brush you will use
you apply a thinner layer of lipstick than if you were to put it on straight out of the tube.
Also, using a brush allows you to get every last bit of lipstick out of the tube.
- Try a less expensive mascara. There is very little difference in different brands
so there is no need to spend a lot. If you have an expensive one that you particularly like, try
cleaning the brush when it is gone and using that same brush with a cheaper brand. Maybelline
sells more mascara than anyone else. I have used Maybelline mascara for years and love it.
Frugal Beauty Tips - Hair
- Don't spend a lot on shampoo. Shampoos stay on the hair for a very short time, and any fancy ingredients in them will
just go down the drain. As long as it leaves your hair clean it is doing its job.
- Instead of using an expensive hair conditioner to make hair shine, mix a tablespoon of cider
vinegar with water. After rinsing away the shampoo with ordinary water, pour this cider vinegar
water over your hair as a final rinse.
- Look into having your hair done at a beauty school. You will spend a lot less for the same
From Frugal Beauty Tips back to Frugal Living Now