Homemade Beauty Products
Making your own homemade beauty products can be a natural and affordable way to keep your skin and hair clean and nourished. By using common household products, fruits, oils, and extracts you can make homemade beauty treatments to fortify and revive your skin and hair.
Powdered Milk: Pour a cup or more of powdered milk under running bath water. The lactic acid in the milk will remove dry dead skin and leave you baby soft. Add a drop or two of some scented oil if you want a really luxurious bath!
Buy at AllPosters.com
Sugar and olive oil: Scrub hands and feet with a mixture of granulated sugar and olive oil and then rinse with warm water. It leaves them soft and smooth!
Baking soda: You can remove buildup from your hair by adding two tablespoons of baking soda to one teaspoon of shampoo. Shampoo as usual – your hair will feel lighter and smoother.
Coconut oil: Coconut oil is a wonderful skin softener! Rub it all over on damp skin after a bath or shower. It is an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin and is said to be effective in the treatment various skin problems including psoriasis, dermatitis, eczema and other skin infections.
You can find coconut oil at health food stores and in the health food section of some grocery stores. A jar will last a very long time when used as skin oil, so even though it may seem expensive (in my experience between $5 and $15 for a 14 – 16 ounce jar) it is much less expensive than body lotion. In cool temperatures it is solid, but once you have it in your hand it melts right away and is absorbed quickly and completely when massaged into damp skin.
Epsom Salt: Epsom salt is a naturally-occurring beauty product that’s easy to use, easy to afford and easy to find.
To relax your muscles and draw toxins from your body add a cup of Epsom salt to a tub of hot water and soak in it until the water becomes cool.
Homemade beauty products using Epsom salt:
beauty spa treatment
solutions to try!Recipes for Homemade Beauty Products
- Add volume and texture to your hair: combine equal parts of a deep conditioner, warmed and Epsom salt. Work this mixture through your hair and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse.
- To revive your complexion, mix 1/2 tablespoon of Epsom salt into cleansing cream and massage gently into skin. Rinse with cool water and pat dry.
- Make an Epsom salt body or foot scrub to remove dead skin by mixing 2 cups of Epsom salt with 1/4 cup of petroleum jelly and a few drops of lavender or other aromatic oil. Use the mixture to gently scrub away dry or rough patches of skin.
Banana Smoothie Conditioner
This is a great conditioner for dry hair. Use it once a week to keep your hair soft and manageable.
* 1/2 med. banana
* 1/4 small cantaloupe, cut into cubes
* 1 Tbsp plain yogurt
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
1. Blend ingredients in a blender until smooth.
2. Apply mixture to freshly washed hair, saturating from roots to tips.
3. Leave on for 30 minutes.
4. Rinse with cool water.
Lemon Deep Moisturizing Treatment
This homemade beauty product is good for treating a dry scalp. Use instead of shampoo twice a week to keep your hair looking and feeling fresh and vibrant.
* 3 eggs
* 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1. Blend all ingredients until smooth.
2. Add 3 Tbsp of shampoo to mixture.
3. Blend until combined.
4. Wet hair and use mixture to shampoo.
5. Rinse with warm water.
6. Refrigerate unused portion in airtight container for up to a week.
Honey: Honey is a humectant, which means it attracts and retains moisture. It is also an anti-irritant, making it soothing for sensitive skin and skin conditions. Try these honey-based homemade beauty products for dry hair and skin.
Apricot and Honey Conditioner
This treatment is especially well-suited for African-American hair. The ingredients help tame frizziness and hydrate dry hair. It is also good for the scalp. Use once a week for best results.
* 1 small apricot, pit removed
* 2 Tbsp honey
* 1 Tbsp apricot or olive oil
1. Blend ingredients until smooth.
2. Apply mixture to freshly washed hair.
3. Cover hair with plastic.
4. Leave on for 30 minutes.
5. Rinse with cool water.
Coconut Protein Deep Conditioning Hair Treatment
The protein in the eggs and the moisturizing qualities of the other ingredients will revive even the most damaged hair. Use once a week for a month, then monthly thereafter.
* 2 eggs
* 3 Tbsp coconut milk
* 2 Tbsp honey
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1. Mix all ingredients with a fork until combined.
2. Wet hair and apply mixture.
3. Allow to set for 30 minutes.
4. Rinse well with cool water.
Chocolate Honey Body Scrub
* 2 cups honey
* 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
* 6 Tablespoons unsweetened chocolate, grated or cocoa powder
* 2 cups kosher salt
1. In a mixing bowl combine honey and grapeseed oil. 2. Stir in chocolate and salt, mixing completely - consistency should be thick and grainy. 3. Apply scrub to skin and gently massage. 4. Rinse in shower.
homemade beauty products
From Homemade Beauty Products back to Frugal Beauty Tips
Return to Frugal Living Now Home