Hobby Income: Make extra cash from your hobby!
Most of us have hobbies, but may not think of hobby income as a valid way to make extra
cash. In reality, many hobbies can be a source of significant income if you know how to
go about it! Review the ideas here and then get creative with your own hobby.
If you are an artist or like making craft items, consider teaching art or craft classes. Many city
or county recreation centers offer art classes for adults and/or children - check with yours to see if they
do and if you are qualified to teach. Some arts and craft stores offer classes, too.
Also consider these other ideas for artists:
- Sell crafts at craft shows or online
- Sell your artwork on consignment through a gallery
- Take orders to design custom pieces on commission
- Enter artwork in contests that give cash prizes
If photography or videography is your thing, try selling stock photos online. Some sites where you
can do this are:
More ideas on making hobby income from your photography or videography hobby:
- Take wedding or event photos (or videos) for a fee. You may want to do some for a friend (at
no charge) so that you will have a portfolio of work to show potential customers
- Look into teaching photography/videography classes
- Turn your images into greeting cards and sell them
If you are an animal lover, use that interest as a jumping off point for hobby income ideas.
You can charge for grooming services, walking dogs or pet sitting.
If you are a musician, you might want to consider performing at weddings or similar events or
teaching music lessons from your home or a local music store.
If writing is your hobby, you may be able to cash in on it in one of these ways:
- Write a blog and sign up for Google Adsense (you will be paid when visitors click on the ads
that are placed on your blog)
- Write resumes or help others to write their own resumes
- Write advertising copy for local businesses
- Produce and sell an e-book
If you love to cook, check with your city or county recreation center or a local
cookware store to see if there are any classes you can teach.
You might also want to:
Gardeners may be able to bring in extra income by:
- Sell baked goods or fancy sauces, relishes or jams at a farmer's market or craft show
- Cater weddings, parties, or other events
- Hire yourself out as a personal chef
- Make birthday cakes to order
- Hiring out as a gardener or landscaper
- Selling extra fruits and vegetables from their harvest at a farmer's market, a roadside stand,
or to a local co-op
- Selling home grown and canned produce at a farmer's market
- Helping a farmer harvest his crops
If you are a fitness buff you may be able to teach an exercise class. Check with your city or county
recreation center to see if they offer classes.
Other ideas include:
Some sports-related ways to earn hobby income are:
- Leading hiking or rafting expiditions
- Becoming a life guard
- Hiring yourself out as a personal trainer
From Make Hobby Income back to Extra Income Ideas
From Hobby Income to Frugal Living Home
- Umpire or referee.
- Be a statistician or scorekeeper
- Freelance as a fishing guide, hiking guide or river guide
- Teach your sport to others